Williamstown, MA: Sunday, March 15th, starting at 2pm, the Williamstown House of Local History is presenting the third free public program in its monthly local history series: "The History of St. Raphael Church". The program takes place at the Williamstown Milne Public Library, located on Main Street, across from the Williams Inn. For more information contact WHLH at 413-458-2160, or visit their website at www.williamstownhistory.com.
The program will cover the substantial impact of this local Catholic icon on the surrounding community, including family stories and photographs of the building's long life. The program is presented by local history enthusiasts, and long-time parish members, Arthur and Jean Lafave.
Arthur Lafave was born in 1942, in Williamstown, and lived on Arnold Street most of his life until his marriage to Jean on July 4, 1964, at St. Raphael. His wife Jean Smythe Lafave was born in 1944 in Ellenburg, NY, about 5-6 miles from the French Canadian border. She moved to Williamstown in 1961. Jean became the St. Raphael bookkeeper in 1966 and worked at the church, even when it became a merged parish, for 22 years until her retirement in 2006.